Wednesday, January 21, 2009

32 Week Dr. Appt.

I had an interesting & kinda freaky experience yesterday at the Dr. for my 32 week check up! I got to the Dr...Checked in...Didn't have to pay a copay (YAY!!! I am finally paid in full) Left my sample...They took my blood pressure & said it was great...weighed in...4 more lbs gained! That is a totally of 21 lbs gained so far! AHHHHH...that is it...I am not gaining anymore weight! JK! They put me in the exam room to wait for Dr. Glenn. He came in...Measured me. I measured 33 cm...which is a little big, he said, but normal! He said Gavin now weights 4 lbs! WOW...what a big boy! We heard his little heartbeat & startled him while listening to him...he jumped when he heard his heartbeat throught the fetal heart monitor! So to the really interesting part...I know, it has been boring so far! Pretty normal...typical Dr. appt. Dr. Glenn then tells me that I had a contraction, so if by my next Dr appt. on the 2nd of Feb, Gavin is weighing 5 lbs & I go into labor, he will deliver me. He said babies are quite developed at 5 lbs, so he would be fine if we had to deliver him early! WHAT!!!! Are you joking me? #1 - Will he gain a pound in 2 weeks? #2 - Mike won't be home until the 12th of Feb! #3 - I have NOTHING ready for this baby to get here! So lets just say, I am a little bit freaked out. Lets just all hope that he doesn't get to 5 lbs until Mike gets home...either that, or I don't go into labor until March! That sounds like a good plan! The next time I go into the Dr., they are going to start checking my Cervix...Fun huh?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hate when they have to start doing that. Be careful after they check you becasue a lot of activity could put you in labor. My Ethan came 3 weeks early because I was to active after my check up. I hope things will work out for you. Its so exciting at this point in a pregnancy:)

Felisha said...

You can tell them that you don't want to be checked. I wouldn't want a baby that early, the longer they stay in the womb the better. I had contractions starting around 32 weeks until the day I delivered at 39 1/2 weeks, it is normal. Just as long as you relax when you are having them and drink lots of water. They should go away. Be patient and I guess he will show his smiling face when he is ready!

Unknown said...

Hey chica- Ditto on what Felisha said...you saw Preslie with all the tubes...very possible at only 34 weeks...so lets pray and pray he stays in and bakes a little while longer. Plus, I am bringing you your crib on your shower date, so you'll have it and then hopefully after that, you'll be all ready! ALso, I have a big rubermaid drawer thing on wheels.Has 3 little drawers and 3 big ones. could you use it in Gavins room for diapers, blankies, etc? Let me know and I'll bring that too. Loveya

Felisha said...

I forgot to say, I gained 32lbs with Kate, 30 with Mia, 35lbs with Preston..weight gain is AWESOME! You look beautiful!!! The bigger the better..ok not giant big! :) What do you NEED for baby boy?

srmedley said...

You have some great advice already! Make sure to drink LOTS of water, take it easy and lay on your left side as much as possible. A lot of people contract way before they actually deliver; a lot of people also dilate way before it's time to deliver!
I can't believe your dr talked about delivering you at 34 wks just for having a contraction! 34 weeks is still too early!
Are you still working?
I am not looking forward to the "checking" I heard it is so painful! And as Felisha said, you can always refuse to be checked!
Good luck, I look forward to hearing how things go!
-Shelly

Mads said...

Coming from a nurse and a new mommy....i would tell him that you do not want to be delivered then if you happen to go into labor. Chances are you won't go into labor that early.....but delivering at 34 weeks is pretty dangerous....guarantee that his lungs wouldn't be developed completely and he'd probably have to stay in NICU for a month or so. My friend delivered at 36 weeks and her baby had breathing problems and was in NICU for 18 days..her first was delivered just after 33 weeks and the same thing.....but a month in NICU.......if he can hold off labor if you go into it...i would definately do that!.....and if you've only gained that much weight don't complain chica! haha.....i gained WAY more than that....and lilly was born at 40 weeks and 6 days and she was still only 7lbs5oz......

I'm sure he will wait for his daddy to get home...so no worries. good luck with the rest of your pregnancy.....just remember...and epidural is the best thing you can do!!!! haha

Jenni said...

Wow! I can't believe it already that time. Isn't it crazy to think at one moment you aren't a mother and then all of a sudden you are going to be? What a humbling feeling! Whew! I will cross my fingers that you don't go into labor until Mike is there!

Haley said...

when I saw your facebook update I jumped over to your blog to find out what was up. I agree with everyone's comments. I don't think I had contractions unless you count the Braxton hicks but I was dilated a good amount with both babies for a month before I had them. Again dido to everything everyone else said.