Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Are we Ready?

I don't think so. As I have thought about everything the last week or so...Having Mike here & realizing that we only have 10 weeks left until our precious baby Gavin gets here, I have been thinking about everything that we need to get, get done, or have before he gets here. I didn't register for any birthing classes...slacker! You have to register before 28 weeks...that was 2 weeks ago & with Mike not being here, I didn't really know what to do! So now, when he comes, we will just be at the mercy of the Doctors & Nurses in the delivery room to lead us & help us through delivery!

We did get a lot of cleaning done in Gavin's room while Mike was here, but with my Brother here for the week, that is where the futon is, so that is where he slept...Most of the time! So we couldn't move any of the big stuff with Jason here...that will have to be done with Mike gets back. We are still trying to decide if we want to Paint his room...Our next door neighbors (the Lymans) gave us some light blue paint that they were going to use to paint their daughters room, but they changed there mind! So we could do that. We are also getting a crib from Mike's Sister...so as soon as we clean out the rest of Gavin's room, we can get that!

So we have a crib...not in our possession, but we have one! We also have a TON of clothes for the little tyke & a Stroller/Car seat set! Other than that, I have been making blankets like crazy, My Grandma is making us a BYU comforter blanket for the crib & my mother-in-law is making Gavin's baby blessing blanket...not that he will need it because we will probably bless him in May & it is kinda warm in May...but he needs one right? If by chance I have to go back to work after Gavin is born, I haven't even looked into a day care or anything like that for him to go. Everything is really up in the air right now!

I have just been feeling this inadequate feeling lately that I am not ready, physically, mentally, spiritually, emotionally to be this special little spirit's mother! I have no doubt in my mind that Mike will be a great dad! I just worry about me! I don't know what to do...I haven't taken care of a baby since, well, I feel since Jason, my little brother was born 13 years ago!

Everyone keeps assuring me that once we have the baby showers, that everything will fall into place & come together...I hope they are right, but as for now, I don't feel prepared. My parents keep telling me that no one is truly ever fully prepared to become a parent! So I am holding on to that & telling myself it will all come together in the next 10 weeks.

So enough rambling...Here is my question. For all you parents out there...I am a first time mom! I need help! I need ideas, suggestions, anything you can give me. Any advice you would like to pass on, any tips or things that helped you, please share your wisdom with me! Maybe then I will feel more prepared! Thanks for your help, & listening to my not ready for baby ranting! Any help or advice you give will be greatly appreciated!

2 comments:

Kelly Hill said...

Wow, that's a tough one. I would say have plenty of diapers and wipes (formula too, if that's a need) and you'll be ready for anything.

One thing I learned is that no matter how unprepared you feel, no matter how nervous, the very second your baby enters this world all the rest goes away! Your heart opens up and engulfs him.... you find out there's not room for anything else but you, your husband, him and the love you can't even begin comprehend. That may sound sappy, but I'm not kidding. None of the rest matters. There will be time for moving of furniture and even painting walls. You'll probably have him by your bedside in a cradle for a while anyway... at least I did.

If I can help you in anyway to get ready just let me know, but remember that everything will simply fall into place and you won't care that the room isn't decorated just so. Just enjoy each other and relax....

srmedley said...

I like the advice KJae gave you. I am having a lot of the same feelings, and I have longer to go than you & my husband is here. Just stay strong and don't be afraid to ask for help. I am so stressed about the daycare thing!
I'm so excited for you! Let me know if you need anything!
-Shelly